- Browse Initiatives
- WICHE Region
- News Room
- WICHE President Joe Garcia begins his outreach to Western states.
- Eleven institutions in Hawai‘i, Utah, and Wyoming to begin awarding Interstate Passport this fall.
- Matt Freeman, Jim Hansen reappointed to WICHE Commission, and WCET Executive Council welcomes two new members.
- Aspiring chief academic officers from WICHE states begin yearlong professional development program.
- Registration now open for Interstate Passport webinars, WCET Annual Meeting, and workshop for state authorization compliance managers.
Interstate Passport Initiative Framework Complete
New College Transfer Framework Streamlines Cross-State Transfer
Colorado’s Lt. Gov. Garcia Selected by the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education as its New President
Patricia Sullivan Elected Vice Chair of Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education
Sen. Jeanne Kohl-Welles Elected Chair of Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education
Policy Alerts and Stat Alerts
Policy Analysis and Research Resources
- Policy Home
- Benchmarks: WICHE Region 2015
- Knocking at the College Door
- Legislative Advisory Committee
- Policy Publications Clearinghouse
- Regional Factbook for Higher Education in the West
- State Higher Education Policy Database
- Tuition and Fees in Public Higher Education in the West
- Western Policy Exchanges
- WICHE Policy Insights
- Policy Archive
- About Us
Joe Garcia was appointed President of WICHE in June 2016. He served as the Lt. Governor of Colorado and as the Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Higher Education, beginning in 2011. He had previously served on the WICHE Commission for nine years, including serving as its chair in 2011. During his time as Lt. Governor and as the SHEEO for Colorado, Garcia focused on increasing equity in outcomes for all students, particularly those from low income backgrounds and communities of color. Read more about WICHE's President
The Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education is a regional organization created by the Western Regional Education Compact and adopted in the 1950s by Western states. WICHE was created to facilitate resource sharing among the higher education systems of the West. It implements a number of activities to accomplish its objectives.
WICHE began operations in 1953 in Eugene, OR, moving to its present location in Boulder, CO, in 1955. WICHE is governed by three gubernatorially appointed commissioners from each member. Under terms of the compact, each member commits to support WICHE's basic operations through annual dues established by the full commission.
WICHE's members include 15 Western states and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (the first of the U.S. Pacific territories and freely associated states to participate).
September 20 – 21, 2016
WICHE Legislative Advisory Committee Annual MeetingSheraton Albuquerque Uptown2600 Louisiana Blvd NEAlbuquerque , NM
NOV 10 - 12, 2016
WICHE Commission MeetingCO
March 22 - 24, 2017
Alliance Annual MeetingWestin Long Beach Hotel333 E Ocean BlvdLong Beach , CA
April 26 - 28, 2017
Forum Annual MeetingSheraton Salt Lake City Hotel150 W 500 SSalt Lake City , UT
MAY 22 - 23, 2017
WICHE Commission MeetingID
- WICHE Directory
- WICHE FAQs