Implementation Plan and Next Steps
Members of the African American Panel proposed that a number of action steps are required to advance this set of standards and guidelines. These steps include the following:
- Coordination of this set of guidelines with those from other groups to develop a comprehensive set of standards and guidelines for populations of color.
- Development of consumer satisfaction measures for populations of color
- Identification of effective mental health programs in a managed care environment.
- Development of age specific standards and guidelines for populations of color.
- Development of diagnosis specific standards and guidelines for populations of color.
- Development of standards and guidelines for mental health systems.
- Identification of specific competencies necessary for the provision of treatment of mental health services to people of color.
- Translation of these specific competencies into training and educational curriculum.
- Development of cultural competency certification requirements for professionals.
- Development and implementation of a national conference on cultural competency, managed care and people of color.
- Inclusion of cultural competency standards and guidelines in national and state policies and contracts in managed care.
- Development of a national web site where data and information about managed care from a people of color perspective can be obtained and applied by minority agencies, providers, and organizations.
- Survey a sample of mental health professionals of African descent to obtain their assessment of the standards and guidelines included in this report.